Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Donita's Group

Donita's Group

OK, so I finally found the "blog this" at the top of the page (told you I was a virgin)

About exercise -- It definitely is the key. For me, I think the mental benefits surpass the physical, that is the increased self-esteem, mental focus, determination, and just plain pat-on-the back it gives me is like fuel to stay on track food-wise. It is also a challenge for me, as I am basically lazy, and would rather sit on the couch with my laptop or watch tv.

So my latest excercise regime is riding my bike. For years, all I had was Dave's old hand-me-down mountain bikes. They were so uncomfortable, I was miserable every time I tried to ride. One day we were out riding in the beautiful Stanley Park in Vancouver, and a woman cruised past me on this big 'ol honkin girl bike - you know, the kind with the big seat and the upright handlebars? I knew right then & there that was what I needed. So last year for Christmas I got myself a girlie bike. I think it's called a hybrid, because it's got the mountain bike tires, but you sit upright on it, and the seat is comfortable!!! It cost about $325, and rides like a dream. I put a little basket on the back to carry my stuff, and have been pretty regular about riding. (I know Dave thought it would sit and collect dust when I bought it!) I'm lucky because I have miles of paved riding trails nearby, with moderate hills. My regular route is to Forestville & back; about 1 hour. But sometimes I get bored with that and stick the bike in my car and drive it to a different location to ride. I still fight myself almost every time I go out - there is ALWAYS something else I'd rather be doing!! But I know I'll feel fabulous when I'm done, and that feeling will last all day and all night!

So whether it's a class or a piece of equipment or gear, if it takes a little $, it is a worthwhile investment, if it's something you enjoy.

So ... right now it's still really really cold outside. I'd rather keep sitting here at the computer with the heater on. But I'm going out to do my ride now. And this blog is definitely a motivator. Thanks, Doni!

4 Comments:

Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Try clicking on the Blogger rectangle under the archives list. Then click on "new post". That should take you to the posting page where you can title your post.

Did I just tell you the same thing? Anyway...

Oh, so many beautiful places to ride around Sonoma County! I do miss that countryside. We don't really have much of that around here.

I miss my old bike. It had a HUGE, cushy seat. (Like sitting in a big hand!) It was a very comfortable ride. Someday I'd like to get another one. ($)

I still remember that day when you, Michele and I rode that trail to the coast and communed with the leetle ferrets. Fun day.

I'm glad you find the blog helpful. That's the whole point of this thing. Your post has inspired me, too! By the way, I didn't mean to leave Dave out. Shall I send him an invitation to join?

It's crazy windy outside. it was crazy windy last night but it didn't stop Jeff and me from climbing Rubidoux. I think I'll go do that right now.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

I was going to wait until I get a spam. I might not get one because this blog isn't public.

Hey, cool! Nancy went riding, I went up Rubidoux and you're going to use your bike. It DOES work! This blog is magic.

I feel great! I went up the trail again. Just before I started down I got the feeling that my body is smaller. Hard to explain. It was like all of a sudden I felt lighter and smaller. Like ten fat cells just gave up.

Kinda cool.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Oh noooo! A dive into a mud bog! Yucktooey! Are your bumps better? Is your camera ok?

Falling down is upsetting. Falling down into a below-the-sewage-plant-mud-bog when you're out trying to improve your health I am sure must be worse. When I stopped giggling about it I felt very sympathetic.

Bummer about the camera, tho.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

If you haven't already, take the batteries out of your camera until it dries out. it may have a second watch battery someplace if it has a clock; some digital cameras do. Take 'em all out. This will keep conductive crystal things from growing (we used to call them dendrites) in the conductive moist areas.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home