The Biggest Loser
I finally watched it tonight. Actually, I didn't see the whole thing and I had to watch a lot of it with the sound turned down. I really can't deal with the super dramatic music, the dramatic quick-cuts, the dramatic expressions of defeat or exasperation, the dramatic DRAMA. The reality show formula just makes me want to scream, which is why I don't watch them. So, even though it'll be dramatically difficult, I'll probably watch this show again.
I hate the dramatic in-your-face stuff, but it struck a nerve that needed striking. I've gotten complacent lately and the weight loss has stalled. I don't want the real life drama of having to deal with the doctor's scorn when I check in on Wednesdays. If you don't do well they scold you. I had that happen once and I didn't like it. Not because I didn't want to take responsibility for my failure that week (actually, I had lost weight), but because it felt like his crappy, canned speech. He seemed like he was enjoying it, even. I finally just said what I knew he wanted to hear just to get him to shut up. It's a bad policy because I think it encourages people to lie to them. Yes, I drank the water. Yes, I exercised. As long as you drop a pound or two you can get away with it.
So, if I can get a dose of the in-your-face shit that doesn't actually belong to me I think it'll serve to keep me focused. I'll watch the show with the sound turned off when they're doing the dramatic weigh-in. I'll turn it back up again when they're all in the room screaming at each other.
Anyway, that's how I feel about it right now.
I hate the dramatic in-your-face stuff, but it struck a nerve that needed striking. I've gotten complacent lately and the weight loss has stalled. I don't want the real life drama of having to deal with the doctor's scorn when I check in on Wednesdays. If you don't do well they scold you. I had that happen once and I didn't like it. Not because I didn't want to take responsibility for my failure that week (actually, I had lost weight), but because it felt like his crappy, canned speech. He seemed like he was enjoying it, even. I finally just said what I knew he wanted to hear just to get him to shut up. It's a bad policy because I think it encourages people to lie to them. Yes, I drank the water. Yes, I exercised. As long as you drop a pound or two you can get away with it.
So, if I can get a dose of the in-your-face shit that doesn't actually belong to me I think it'll serve to keep me focused. I'll watch the show with the sound turned off when they're doing the dramatic weigh-in. I'll turn it back up again when they're all in the room screaming at each other.
Anyway, that's how I feel about it right now.

2 Comments:
I actually thought last night's show, which I watched bits of, was not a good example of the show as a whole.
I thought the trainers were out of line to belittle the people and make it sound like they were making excuses for not losing enough. I've never seen it like that before.
It's great to watch the last couple shows where the people look entirely different and have come off their blood pressure and diabetes meds because they eliminated the cause of their diseases.
If you can get past the drama, I think it can be motivating.
Mommala
Well, that's why I'll keep watching it. I'll just have to glean what is useful and set the rest aside. Boy, I'll tell ya, that show is something I would never do. You won't be seeing this body on national tv dressed in a sports bra and bike shorts.
Post a Comment
<< Home