Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Still doing well

Twenty-nine pounds. I worry that it's going to get harder. Soon I'll be off the shakes and on my own. It takes a lot more planning and effort to make sure there's enough of the right kind of food available at home. At work, I've been having shakes for lunch. Pretty soon I'll have to make sure I get up early enough to make myself something to take to work. Not a hardship, but I need to be consistent with how I deal with food. Complacency is not an option.

But I'm really happy about how I've done so far. Even with the extra calories consumed last week I still lost a pound and a half. Really, I could bump up the effort and lose more weight. I could exercise more and drink more water. I really haven't been doing as much as I should. It's interesting to me how sensitive I've become to the amount of calories I take in and how much I burn with exercise or hard work. I can really feel it. Today I was doing yard work and at one point I knew I had to stop what I was doing and go inside and have a shake. If I had kept going I would have felt depleted. I can also tell when I've had just enough to eat. That's kind of a new thing for me. Of course, the trick will be to consistently listen to my body and not allow myself to get self-indulgent.

Don't worry, I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. It's realistic and comfortable. I'd love it if I can lose about a pound and a half per week.

Still shopping in my closet. I have two pairs of "target" jeans waiting for me to lose about ten more pounds.

9 Comments:

Blogger VO said...

Ya know the MIL was complaining recently about stomach pain. It's not enough to go to the doc and it's only relieved by eating food.

Hmmmm, might it be actual hunger pangs? She eats so much less nowadays that I'm pretty sure she's actually hungry for food at mealtimes. Instead of eating food for visual appeal or because it's there.

I often have to admit the reason I've gained those couple of extra pounds is because I didn't stop because I wasn't listening to my body.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work, Donita! It's amazing what you can do when you are able to change your mind-set. Not an easy thing; you really have to be there in that certain mental place.
I work with 3 women who eat all day long and have no concept of real hunger or eating the right things. They are resistant to even walking down the street to GET the food!, much less exercise! It makes me crazy but if they're not "there', what good would it do me to preach?!
bravo to you :)
Mommala

3:12 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hey Doni,

I haven't been here for awhile - what an accomplishment - 29!
You are really establishing great habits in terms of listening to your body, and nourishing it when it needs it. What is it, 20 times repetition before something becomes habit? Sound like you're there, so I have great confidence in you that you will continue on!

Nancy

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

29 pounds! I was worried you were cutting too many calories there at first.

Well, I'm nobody to take advice from about weight loss, but I do consistently make a lunch to take to work, and it's usually dinner from the night before. I have a real incentive, though, there's only one sandwich shop near where I work, and I only get 30 mins for lunch.

I especially like to make a big salad for dinner, leave the meat and avocado and dressing off the leftovers, and pack it all up separately for lunch. It works great.

I also have boiled eggs in the fridge at all times to grab for breakfast.

Your fat friend with food hints,

Dean

8:57 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Vo- Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder if she's just kind of lost touch with her own body signals?

Anne- Yeah, preaching wouldn't do any good, especially coming from you. You are the one they'd be jealous of! I'm pretty sure they know exactly what they're doing. Even though we're overweight and might be in some serious denial about it, we still know. The three of them are enabling each other. If one of them were to put on the brakes she'd have a very hard time sticking to it. You really do have to be "there". You have to be ready and you have to have the resolve to stand alone and do what you know is best for you, no matter what anyone else is doing. Having support is great, but you really need to at least be able to do it alone.

In our class there are three nurses who work together at Kaiser that are taking this class together and are helping each other. They're anti-enablers.

Nancy- Thanks! I can hardly believe it. Usually I can lose 15 pounds on my own and it's not that hard. Getting past that has always been a challenge. I'm looking forward to getting to the 40 pound mark. That's how much weight I lost on Atkins and it's the most I've ever managed to lose. Getting past that mark will be a big deal. I do worry about getting off the shakes. I don't totally trust myself to make the right choices all the time. That's where the support group will come in handy.

Dean- Doing stuff ahead is really the key. To do that I have to make sure my kitchen is always clean. I'm getting better at that. I guess it's easier because I'm alone here most of the time.

I also have only half an hour for lunch. That's just not enough time to find something good. You end up rushing through it to make it back to work in time. There's a Mexican restaurant down the street that has a really good shrimp cocktail. Their service is ridiculously slow. If I want to order from them I'll call ahead and TELL them I need to pick it up and pay for it quickly. Sometimes that works, but not always. It pisses me off. Jeez, how long does it take to throw some shrimp into some salsa and add cucumber and avocado? But ooh, it's good and it's perfect for my diet.

Taking lunch is cheaper, better and you have total control over how many calories you take in. I've been saving lots of money not buying lunch.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, the skinny one talking again, but I also have 1/2 hour lunch which I choose to use walking for 1/2 hr, then I sneak in a hard boiled egg or yogurt and fruit afterwards (doesn't take long to eat those). Bananas are good too- and also- why can't you just have a shake for lunch/ Is that against the rules?
Works for me :)
Mommala

3:39 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Right now most of the time I do have a shake for lunch. But pretty soon we'll be off the shakes completely. New Year's eve as a matter of fact.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, when I diet I find 20 pounds comes off pretty easy; beyond that it's something else entirely.

If I don't bring something for lunch, there's nothing for it but the vending machines, and even I can't that stuff. They used to put small cartons of milk in them, but if you couldn't see the expiration date through the little window, it was best not to risk it.

I keep a can of soup and some Mrs. May's Trio bars (Costco, about $16 a box of... um... they come out to about 80 cents each) in a desk drawer and I always have a lunch and a dessert.

Sales pitch: these Trio bars are fabulous!

http://www.mrsmays.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26

They're 230 calories a bar--is that a lot? I can eat one of those and be good to go for two hours. They're nuts, seeds, and dried fruit, 0 transfats, and kosher, why I do not know.

I also keep a carton of yogurt in our little fridge and walnuts and raisins in my desk for breakfast.

The fruit shakes aren't possible for me at work. They have to be very recently blended, they can't sit in the fridge, and I wouldn't be able to bring a blender. Well, I guess I could, but it would be a major pain in the ass.

Why is it so much fun to talk about food?

-dean

7:43 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Those bars sound good. I don't think 230 calories is bad if you're using them as a mid-afternoon snack.

Heh! We're not really supposed to talk about food at this weight loss class but people do. Especially the ones who are on the other program. They're still doing only the shakes. Some people are really starting to miss real food.

But we can talk about it here! Especially when it's to share helpful suggestions, like those bars. Ooh, but I just saw a recipe in Met Home that I'm dying to try. Dates stuffed with chorizo, wrapped with bacon and baked until crispy.

And no, it's not low-calorie!

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home