Monday, February 20, 2006

Donita's Group

We're talkin' Real Athletes

Today we went in to downtown Santa Rosa to watch the finish of the 1st stage of the Tour of California bike race. It was unbelievable. They estimated a crowd of 30,000 people in Courthouse Square. They had free valet parking for our bikes. The sun was out, and they had a giant screen TV airing the riders live as they came up the coast, with these really amped-up sports announcers giving live commentary. The crowd was especially psyched 'cause it's our hometown Santa Rosa boy Levi Leipheimer in the lead with the yellow jersey. They left Sausalito at 11 a.m. and came into Santa Rosa at 2 p.m.! That's 81.5 hilly miles in 3 hours! I'm so impressed. I could not believe my eyes as I would see them on the screen at Tomales Bay, then a few minutes later Occidental Road! And when they rode past us at the finish line, they were moving so fast it was just a blur of color. And what's truly amazing is that the race goes on like this for the next 6 days: Tue: 94 miles, Wed:17-mile time trial, Thur:131 miles, Fri:105, Sat:89, and Sun:76.

Really inspiring to see what the human body is really capable of! These guys look like half-human/half machine to me.

How's everybody doing? I mainly posted this cause I was tired of seeing my chocolate post. I'm doing so-so with the food lately; just running out of the old meal-planning steam. Doing a little better with the excercise. I've done Annadel twice now, and had a weekend hula retreat where we danced for two days. I'm beat, beat, beat. And I've had enough of this cold weather!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I remember going downtown in Santa Rosa and watching Donita's brother-in-law David compete in a bike race, but it was just a Santa Rosa race. Still pretty neat.

This was a pretty busy weekend for us, with an eleven-hour day on Saturday watching Paige's drum line compete in Chino Hills; we were adult riders for the bus, and helped a little with the pack-in and pack-out. Her group did pretty well, better than they have before, finishing tenth in a group of 25.

Sunday we went to an auto auction in Santa Ana, but they had changed the start time from 2 PM until noon, and we missed the viewing time, so we'll try again. Lindsay was disappointed that she wouldn't have a replacement for her totaled car this week, but she can drive Doni's dad's car and we'll try again next Sunday.

Redhen is a really fine hula dancer, and I'd love to see her troupe dance again someday.

I saw a chocolate article today that really made me want extra-fine chocolate, but I'm (mostly) over it, heh.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Yes, it's amazing what the human body can do. I get amazed whenever I watch Cirque Du Soleil. I NEVER get tired of watching Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire. It must be wonderful having a body that does whatever you tell it to. Well, I can't tap dance or do acrobatics but this abused ol' bod is still working pretty good. Now I'm working to hang onto what I've still got!

I'm still doing well with my diet. I really haven't had any sugar cravings. Last night while I was in the tub I took a little inventory. I'm gittin' blobby. I mean that in a good way. My weight loss has slowed down but that's what happens on Atkins. You start off with a bang and then it slows.

My mood has been lighter lately, although today I'm a bit glum. It'll pass. I think the meditation class is helping. The other day when we went to Paige's drumline show I actually meditated on the bus. We're talkin' a noisy, bouncy bus full of band kids playing on practice pads. It was great!

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home