Saturday, February 11, 2006

Donita's Group

Trans-Fats

Here's a really interesting website about trans-fats and the new labeling law:

http://bantransfats.com/

We've been reading labels and avoiding partially-hydrogenated fats for a couple of years now, and now we can taste it when we eat a food that contains it. (For example, I recently bought "Skippy" peanut butter without reading the label. It's full of partially-hydrogenated oil. After a couple of years of buying the good kind of peanut butter, the Skippy tastes really processed; that is, far from the taste of pure peanuts. It's funny, too, because that "mouth-feel" is one of the reasons for engineering the partially-hydrogenated fat.

Fortunately, the food industry is now re-engineering their recipes to avoid the stuff.

2 Comments:

Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Once I was stuck at a railroad crossing and watched tank car after tank car loaded with corn syrup go by. Almost the whole train was carrying corn syrup. I was thinking oh my god where is all that going?

I think the answer is to avoid processed foods as much as possible. If you're dieting you're doing a lot more cooking from scratch so that helps.

Thanks for the website, Nancy. I'll go look at it.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Here's a live link:
http://bantransfats.com/

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home