Sugar-free Oreos

Note: This is probably really only relevant to "low-carb" dieters like me.
If you've ever tried to find snacky snacks that fit your diet, I'm sure you'll understand how finding a good one can be a real treat. And this is one of those (for Atkins).
I generally avoid most "diet replacement foods," because their deficiencies often make me crave the original version even more. Besides, I think it's better to just go for the foods that work in the lifestyle.
But man, these new Sugar-free Oreos are good, and they generally handle my jones for a sweet chocolate treat. Unlike most "diet versions" of foods I've tried over the years, the experience of eating one is almost identical with eating an original Oreo.
In other words, from an eating-experience point of view, they got it right.
Now, since the fat and calories are still high, this probably works best on a low-carb diet such as Atkins. But they sure do the job within that diet. And by "doing the job," I mean allowing you to have a chocolate sweet without kicking your metabolism back into carb-consumption mode. Somebody did their homework.
Okay, here's the nutrition lowdown:
Serving size: 2 cookies (24g)
Calories: 100 Calories from fat: 45(!)
Total fat: 5g
Saturated fat: 1.5g
Trans fat: 0g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 110 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 16g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 0g
Sugar Alcohol: 7g
Protein: 2g
Although 8g carbs would be high for Atkins' "Induction" phase, you can subtract 1.5g fiber and 3.5 sugar alcohol, leaving just 3g per cookie.
They're not available everywhere. In Riverside, they're available at the Von's in the Plaza.
And I won't be surprised if they're removed from the market, since the Atkins "fad" is ending.
So if you're doing something like Atkins and you find yourself really craving a sweet choco snack, here's one option that wasn't available until recently. With all that fat and weird additives (just like original Oreos), this stuff still is undoubtedly bad for you in quantity. I eat a cookie or two a day (and the rest of each box seems to get eaten by others in the family). As in everything, use moderation!

1 Comments:
These cookies are awesome. The temptation to eat the whole damn box is very strong.
I need to back off the snacky things. They're doing me in. Nuts are legal on Atkins but I'm eating too many of them. I think I need to stick to sugar free Jello for my snack jones.
Post a Comment
<< Home